Genre: Song Inspirations.


The first song I thought of when thinking of what genre to create my music video around was Bang Bang (My Baby Shot Me Down) by Nancy Sinatra. This song was featured in the movie 'Kill Bill', and it describes a woman who has fallen in love with her childhood sweetheart but then he eventually leaves her. This can be told not only from the lyrics, but the symbolism behind her talking about them shooting each other, which is meant to represent the childhood game 'Cops and Robbers' where children pretend to shoot each other as they play the role of either a cop or a robber. It is clear that this song is in the folk genre because of the naturalistic and pure sound of the song with just a guitar and her voice throughout. The song also seems quite personal to her by talking about her life, which is another convention of Folk songs. This is an inspiration for when I create my music video as I want my song to be very naturalist and acoustic feeling, and also a similar theme to this song being love and betrayal.


The second song that I thought of when thinking of what genre to create my music video around was End Of The World by Skeeter Davis. This song was featured in the movie 'Girl, Interrupted', as it describes a women being heartbroken and feels like it's the end of the world because her relationship is over. This can be told from the lyrics as one of the lines say, 'Don't they know it's the end of the world, it ended when I lost your love'. This inspired me as I am a fan of the movie it was featured in (the same for Kill Bill), and it is used when a women decides to hang herself one morning. I found the contrast in the calming music to the shock of death very interesting and thought about conveying this in my music video somehow. This song is clearly in the Folk genre for similar reasons as 'Bang Bang' due to the naturalistic tone to the song and the artists emotions that glimmer through both the lyrics and her voice. This song inspired me as it has a naturalistic sound like 'Bang Bang' but also it has clear themes like love and betrayal which is what I would like to convey when creating my music video.

By Harry Luke Mulvany

No comments:

Post a Comment