Genre: Folk.

The genre of my chosen song that I will be using for my music video is Folk. This genre includes singers/bands such as Laura Marling, She & Him, Noah & The Whale or Mumford & Sons. These are all very current artists/bands, but what made me want to do my music video in this genre is the more older music that have been created within it. Ideas and inspiration that I had before this included Skeeter Davis, Nancy Sinatra and The Carpenters, which are much older. Despite the fact that the songs that I wanted to do from these artists/band were too old, they inspired me to do my music video in this genre and led me to the song I have chosen, which is actually a more recent cover of The Carpenters song that I wanted to do. Folk music connotes a very naturalistic sound which would be reflected in the video. Folk videos are also generally more performance based, as well as more suggestive when it comes to narrative unlike pop and R&B videos which let the audience know exactly what is going on. One final point that I would possibly like to convey in my music video is the convention that the artist is portrayed as very natural and 'organic', with parts of their personality being shown.

By Harry Luke Mulvany

No comments:

Post a Comment